24 October 2007

Proposal for Hypertext #2

Through reading these books, my eyes have been really opened to how destitute and poor some people really are. I was really moved by the story of Sarah and Willie (pages 36-37) about how they seem like a family who is succeeding, but has nothing saved in the bank, that they're just scraping by. I've begun to want to shape my essay around why people struggle the way they do; in the case of Sarah and Willie in particular, they made a point about how he "could" be living better if he saved his money, but that the both of them never really do. The comment he makes on pg 37 about $10 in his pocket and ice cream is very explanatory of the issue i really want to investigate and learn more about. I'm not too sure as to how i want to approach this issue, but i want to learn about the level of living that i've never experienced. I'm going to incorporate interviews with people living in san jose, and i also want to talk to people about how they got out of poverty, like my father and others have. I plan on using Ehrenreich's writing and her experience as a transition for my paper as a person who has lived the high life without any knowledge of the lower economic spectrum as well. I have some personal experience with low wage working, but in terms of low wage living i don't. I want to use my experience of working for a low wage to give my opinion on a low-wage life as well.

No comments: