29 October 2007

hypertext 2

I had two topics in mind for the second hypertext essay. The first would be about immigrant farm workers in the United States. I am interested not only in their working conditions, but also in the way they are treated socially. I am interested in how they are affecting the U.S. communities socially, economically, and politically. This is very interesting to me, because of the different opinions people have on this subject. I know that some economists believe that immigration helps the economy more than it hurts it, and that the immigrants need to get paid more money. I want to research all aspects of this subject. In addition, I know that due to a lot of the fires in southern California, many workers are left homeless and jobless. I want to research how easy/hard it is for them to get jobs. I work with kids whose parents are immigrant workers in my arupe placement and that is another reason why this is an interesting topic to me.

My second topic is foster parenting as a source of low wage income. I am interested to learn how much money they make, why parents do it, and so on. I want to learn if parents take on foster children simply so they can make money, and if the money they make is enough to support the kids they take in. Are the parents and kids offered benefits like health and dental insurance? I am also interested in learning how the kids are affected by living in foster homes and the socioeconomic status of the families they move in with. This also got me interested in looking at social workers as having low wage jobs. I am passionate about both subjects, so I’m not sure which topic I want to use yet.

No comments: