29 October 2007

Hypertext #2

I have two different ideas for my second hypertext essay which I have had personal experience with both. My first topic I was going to consider was nannying as a low wage job. Most people consider nannying to be a women’s job. Rooted in the stereotype that that women are first and foremost mothers or the primary caretakers, nannying has attracted majority of women to the job. I recently have started working as a nanny for two separate families that live in fairly wealthy areas. The parents of both the families work all day. I pick the children up from school, make them a snack or meal depending on the time of day, help them do their homework, and help clean around the house if I have time. I get paid a little amount of money, but as a college student, I will take what I can get. In between being a full time student with hard classes and homework, it is hard to find a well-paying job for the minimum amount of hours I can work. For my other topic, I was considering talking about non-profit organization work as a low-wage job. I have worked for quite a few of these organizations. I have worked for Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Santa Clara County by doing both office work and being a mentor for a young child needed a role model. I also have worked for the Canary Foundation which is an organization researching ways to detect cancer early. The people who work for these organizations do not get paid or are paid a small amount of money to raise awareness for particularly important aspects of society. For my first hypertext essay, I had written on the awareness of issues that concern saving our oceans. I included in my essay the organizations that have raised the level of awareness on this topic and pushing it to the forefront of concern both nationally and globally. I want to research on how these non-profit organization/activist groups are funded in their low-wage job. In writing my essay, I liked the shock factor related to Schlosser’s writing in Fast Food Nation. When I read the two different topics of working in fast food chains and slaughterhouses, I had such a build up of emotion ranging from intrigue to disgust. I hope to invoke that same shock factor into my writing.

No comments: