29 October 2007

Hypertext essay #2

In The Working Poor Shipler discusses Koreans who immigrate to the US and become janitorial contractors (pg.20). The reason that they are drawn so easily into this is that most Koreans come over with a strong family base in which they can borrow money from. I would like to address this branch of low-wage work in my next hyper-text essay. The main focus would be on how this type of work is set up to draw certain kinds of people in and how they are then forced into the work cycle. I would especially like to focus on those who do janitorial services for large corporate businesses, mainly immigrants. I have decided on this topic for two main reasons. The first is that I always feel bad when I see janitors, mainly in school, cleaning up messes that should not have been made in the first place and probably could have been cleaned up within five minutes by the mess-maker themselves. Instead, we leave the mess behind, knowing that it will be gone by the next day, not really caring how it happens or who has to do it. The second reason is that in my own jobs I have worked in smaller businesses where you have to clean up after yourself and just tend to do it. I have also seen how easy it is to get in the habit of not doing this simple thing, especially when every one else around you leaves their messes behind. I think it would be interesting to look at not only the affect that this service has on those that perform it, but also on those who take it for granted.

No comments: