24 April 2007

I'm not sure if I'm alone is saying that I wasn't surprised by the statistics on Franchises and some of the crazy corporate control. Having worked at Coldstone Creamery and Culvers, I've seen most of the problems the author talked about first hand. I thought it was a nice twist to show the owner of a successful franchise who treats his employees well and isn't totally driven by profits. I feel like this book is so depressing to read, it sometimes makes me just want to lose faith in the human race. Therefore, I liked the story of a caring boss who was willing to bring his managers to a success seminar. The Christopher Reeves was also a good ending for the chapter because he was followed by the horrible "Who here has ever been on a diet?" sales pitch. I felt that that moment really helped to highlight the truth of Christopher Reeves' statement.
I think the most alarming part of FFN was by far reading about the injuries. There really needs to be some changes in the corporate ladder because it's too easy for the low-paid managers to want that extra bonus in return for low injury reports. However, I think it's really hard to control the meatpacking, and basically every other capitalistic industry, because they're just going for a money. They're not making an effort for employees to get hurt/killed, they're making an effort to make money... at all cost. Therefore I feel that the author is right in calling for much more OSHA involvement/penalties. Fining $480 for a human life and not changing anything is truly unacceptable.

No comments: