30 April 2007

FastFoodNation post

I have read this book for leisure last year because all the buzz it was getting, but this time around I picked up on a few things. Last time I read it I had not implemented what Chapter 3 had to say into my own mind frame. For example, I was always naïve and thinking that the typical employees at fast food chains were not usually Caucasians; which is very hard for me to admit because it sounds terrible, but it is the truth. In addition I used to feel that these employees were just lower class citizens that were not applying themselves, but I was interested to see that in Colorado Springs, Colorado it made it seem that the majority of the people employed by the golden arches were none other then teenagers trying to have a part-time job while juggling getting an education. The shocking thing is how little amount of training you need to have such a job. My friends who have had part time jobs in high school always complained about how much training they had to go through first before they could be considered a true employee at clothing stores, shoe stores, etc. while these people are to make and serve food with no sense of adequate training. Preposterous! If I wasn’t sketched out enough by what some fast food chains consider ‘quality food’, it really made me nervous knowing that people who make the food and the restaurants hardly knew the ethics of business, and dealing with people, let alone the proper way to handle food. Nasty nasty nasty. After reading The Most Dangerous Jobs it made me remember the video I watched in my business ethics class on the meat packing industry. I am surprised after reading it that there is not more diseases going around from the way that handle gets packaged and pass the inspections. It is so gross to think that people live like that, going to work in such an environment, because they feel it is the best possible way to make pay and earn money for themselves or their family. Overall I enjoyed reading it once again!

No comments: