17 April 2007

Hypertxt Essay Proposal - Middle Class Divorce

Middle Class Divorce

What really pisses me off is middle class divorce. It’s something that people who haven’t experienced it first hand wouldn’t care much about. I however, am not one of those people. Divorce has made 2 days of every month hell. It’s me who’s in the middle of everything these days, paying for college, my mom, my dad, my brother, my sister, my grandparents….the list goes on. It’s a freaking huge wall that blocks communication from going any where except through me. With all I have on my plate it’s no fun, being a psychiatrist, a divorce counselor, accountant, financial planner, and a student all at once. I could go on about how life has changed, not just for me but for my mom, my dad, and my siblings. I’d plan on giving the perspective from the dad, mom, and the kids, focusing on the synonymous experience with college. For the dad, the experience is draining. He is in a position where he knows he can’t see himself spending the rest of his life unhappy, the only way out is a separation, Divorce. Divorce costs money, a lot of it, and he see’s his savings being used to pay his lawyer as well as his ex’s. He also has to worry about his kids, who’s taking them, what they will think of him, how he will pay for them to retain their standard of living. All of these things are issues he worries about. The wife is put into a position she has never been in before, to be unsupported and not have the means to continue living the way she had been up to the point of divorce. The rug so to speak has been pulled out from under her. She doesn’t know what to do or how she will manage. She wants to help her kids but doesn’t have the finances to. The kids are hit hard as well, psychologically. Blame is a huge issue. Whose fault was it? What’s more, when the kid is in college it becomes a huge issue. Who is paying for college? How is next quarter going to happen if they can’t get the money? I’d also look at the issue from the judicial system, both outside and in. What is the justification for some of the settlements given? Is it truly a fair system when the man can pay the huge legal fees to get his while the woman is left having to settle because of the mounting costs but isn't poor enough to take advantage of services offered to the impoverished? These questions and more will be answered. I hope this serves to give you an idea of what kind of hyper text essay I am planning to write.

No comments: