25 April 2007

fast food nation and nickel and dimed response

I'm going to begin with Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed and the move into Schlosser's Fast Food Nation.

In terms of Ehrenreich's peice, I wish I was more surprised by the conditions in which these people are forced to live under. I've never been waitstaff before, nor have a cleaned houses for money, however through friends I have come to understand the shortcomings of the industries. I have many friends who have now been waitstaff for a couple of years now, experiencing both rude and incredulous managers and entitled feeling customers. This seems to be how the organization works. I do not think that is right, but that is the reality of the situation at this point. Labor laws and legislation do not support fair compensation of waitstaff, thus forcing waitstaff to work themselves to the bone. Until there is a switch from the current norms, it is what it is. As for cleaning staff, I am appalled with the conditions in which Ehrenreich and these other women are forced to work. They really only serve the purpose of bringing their "pimp" money. For the past couple of years, a cleaning lady has come to clean my house once a week. However, I could never imagine not even offering her a glass of water. It just seems like common courtesy. There is a pride and resilience though, that I can only imagine of emulating. There is also a stubborness that drives these women; they are only satisfied when they can provide the service in the best possible form. There courage, as seen in Holly, seems to be only understood through the trials and tribulations that they experience.

On to Schlosser's Fast Food Nation. I am disgusted with the working conditions of these meat packing industries. Their lack of care for their employees not only mirrors their inhuman treatment of the animals being slaughtered, but also displays their need to make a huge profit in today's capitalistic driven society. They seem to me, to be more than a product of the institution of capitalism; they are inhuman, worthy of sitting infront of high courts for war crimes and genocide (as much as a stretch that might be). Schlosser also tries to unearth the problems with todays franchises and the bind they put on franchisees. Franchises rob the franchisees, who in many cases work to make sure that everyone is taken care of (i.e. Dave Feamster). Dave Feamster, the franchisee owner, provides a bright light for this growing cut-throat business.

No comments: