11 April 2007

I Resign

Dear Mom,

Though it is you who brought me into the world, I am writing to you today to tell you that I quit. I am tired of the judgmental, conservative and stringent atmosphere in which I have been raised. Didn’t you want me to be able to tell you things? Wasn’t your goal as my parent to provide me with the comfort to bring anything that I wanted or needed to your attention? If you ONLY knew of the secret I can’t tell you, something I’ve been longing to tell you. Just because you didn’t touch anyone else until you married doesn’t mean that it happens to EVERYONE. Being a teenager today is different; it is so difficult to be young and quiet. I am supposed to be Catholic, to be a virgin, but it didn’t happen for me.
I was hardly sixteen; Adam had me upstairs “watching a movie.” Yes, don’t worry, his parents were home, but that doesn’t always make any difference Mom. I told him that I would not have sex with him from the beginning, just like you would have wanted. That night I still told him no, and he kept pushing – but not just with his words. I froze, Mom, I just didn’t say ANYTHING. How could I tell you? What would you do? Would you cry? Would you call his parents? I don’t know which extreme you would choose, it’s just so unpredictable. I am silent because of you; you let Dad take advantage of you every day. He plays golf, and you never stop working. It would break up the family after all, you’re such a pleaser. Me too, Mom, I kept having sex with him long after that night. Please know that I thought you were my best friend and you're not, from this I resign.
Regards,
Carrie

4 comments:

deb said...

You could write a really good essay about the relationships between teenagers and their parents, because it is such a big issue these days. I really thought your essay was really powerful.

Caroline Clark said...

I feel like you could make this a little less personal. It kinda gives off an "interesting perception" in which I know I would not want my teacher reading! It is a great topic though!

CMLewis said...

Wow... that is the best word I can think of that describes this. You just told the class how you lost your virginity. All the power to you to be that confident and what not, because I know I could never do. You did a great job explaining WHY you resigned from your Mom, and I liked that a lot! Well done

AMagill said...

This is very intense, and definetely made me uncomfortable to read, but also made me want to read further. Intriguing