24 April 2007

Ehrenreich reading response

The thing that caught my eye and interest during this reading was the passion she expressed through her writing. You can tell this had a very big impact on Barbara Ehrenreich. After reading those 119 pages, you can tell she just barely got bye when she held all those jobs. It was an eye opener for me that I have no rhyme or reason to complain at any point, because I am so fortunate compared to those minimum wage employees. Due to the time commitment of college athletics, club soccer when growing up, I have only had one job for about a month, but I still was being financially supported by my parents. I could not even imagine being in a situation like the one mentioned involving the maid agency. They charge their clients $25 per person an hour yet they only pay the maid $6.65 an hour. That is horrid. How do they expect them to live? I know I could never nor would I ever expect anyone that worked for me too.
This book had caused me to feel a whirlwind of emotions, from sadness/remorse, disbelief, etc. I was shocked to see people treat others more like animals then humans. The manual labor that went along with their poor wages made me picture sweatshops with maltreatment to the tenth degree of employees. Overall I liked the structure, strength, and passion within the text of the speech, but was rather perturbed by what I actually found out about.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I absolutely agree with this post. I was shocked by the material in this book. The inhumane treatment of these workers was apalling. The book drew you in and actually made you care about this topic. The argument was fought plainly with facts that were undeniable. I thought she did an excellent job giving the worker's side of the story without overexaggerating and making the stories seem fabricated.