14 November 2007

Quotes about Critical Thinking

The three quotes I thought described the process of critical thinking for hypertext the best are from Diane Halpern, Victor Maiorana, and MCC General Education Initiatives.

Diane Halpern talks about critical thinking as "goal directed" which I found was very true while writing for hypertext. I know how I wanted my pages to look and generally what I wanted to say, but I had to work towards these goals. She also talks about being "thoughtful and effective for the particular context" which is very true when writing for hypertext. We have to think about the context when we are creating our pages.

Victor Maiorana talks about evaluating viewpoints, which was a big part of writing for these hypertexts. We had to look at a lot of different viewpoints when writing for something that will be published online. He also talks about problem solving, which I thought I did a lot as well when I was writing. There are a lot more problems when trying to write for hypertext, so I had to think about how to solve them.

The last quote from MCC General Education Initiatives talked about "distinguishing between facts and opinions or personal feelings, judgments and inferences" which I thought we had to do a lot while writing these hypertext essays. Since we were publishing this information on the web, we had to be sure we were putting up objective information and not just someone's opinions. We had to evaluate a lot of information on certain levels that are not thought of when writing a linear paper.

No comments: