12 November 2007

Critical Thinking and Hypertext

1. MCC General Education Initiatives
2. Halpern, Diane F. Thought and Knowledge: An Introduction to Critical Thinking. 1996.
3. Stahl and Stahl, 1991.

My experience in writing these two hypertext essays involved a lot of planning, outlining and mapping out. In a formal and flat piece of writing, I still utilize these strategies, but do so in a much less technical way. Hypertext requires many sections of the writing to have direct relation to each other as well as the main subject, whereas typical writing styles allow for a more separate and rigid form.

The first quote I found to ring true to how I formed my hypertext was the one by: MCC General Education Initiatives. This quote speaks to the process I used to gather information from research and form it into my own writing. This requires a sense of analyzing the material and taking my thought process to the next level to bring about more information by asking questions and forming opinions on the material.

Another quote I found applicable was by: Halpern, Diane F. Thought and Knowledge: An Introduction to Critical Thinking. 1996. I like how this quote explains critical thinking as a sort of a mathematic series of thought. I think this way in daily life and found that I did even more so when writing hypertexts. The plans and methods I used to create my hypertext were done strategically from the beginning of my research to the completion of my pages.

The third quote that I found useful was by Stahl and Stahl, 1991.The connection between information, pages, and thoughts that is required for hypertext requires a bit more logic than standard writing does.

No comments: