12 November 2007

3 Best Definitions for Critical Thinking & Hypertexts

1. Critical thinking is "the examination and testing of suggested solutions to see whether they will work."
Lindzey, Hall, and Thompson, 1978.

2. Critical thinking is "the art of thinking about your thinking while you are thinking in order to make your thinking better: more clear, more accurate, or more defensible."
Paul, Binker, Adamson, and Martin (1989)

3. "The purpose of critical thinking is, therefore, to achieve understanding, evaluate view points, and solve problems. Since all three areas involve the asking of questions, we can say that critical thinking is the questioning or inquiry we engage in when we seek to understand, evaluate, or resolve."
Maiorana, Victor P. Critical Thinking Across the Curriculum: Building the Analytical Classroom. 1992.

My first choice represents the best critical thinking definition while creating a hypertext. My experience has been a complete trial and error system. I will make a post for my site and alter it the hour. When something goes technologically wrong, I try my hardest not to hesitate in clicking various buttons. I learn the best when I take risks even if they are mistakes. If you have an idea for your site, create it because you can always make changes later.

The second definition about “thinking, thinking, thinking” is very much the way I go about my writing and site making. I have to think about my thinking while thinking especially because we are both writing and designing at the same time. Making these connections helps the final product be more clear and accurate.

The third definition I selected is similar to the second about achieving understanding. Along with this, one must evaluate and solve problems. For example, after deciding your links you have to evaluate whether they are effective, and if they are not, then solve the problem by making all links fall under the 4 questions we set up as guidelines. We are constantly questioning our product in order to continue the cycle of understanding, evaluating, and solving. Asking questions is the best way to improve you’re the solidity of your project.

No comments: