26 November 2007

critical thinking

1."Critical thinking is the use of those cognitive skills or strategies that increase the probability of a desirable outcome. It is used to describe thinking that is purposeful, reasoned and goal directed - the kind of thinking involved in solving problems, formulating inferences, calculating likelihoods, and making decisions when the thinker is using skills that are thoughtful and effective for the particular context and type of thinking task. Critical thinking also involves evaluating the thinking process - the reasoning that went into the conclusion we've arrived at the kinds of factors considered in making a decision. Critical thinking is sometimes called directed thinking because it focuses on a desired outcome." Halpern, Diane F. Thought and Knowledge: An Introduction to Critical Thinking. 1996.

2.Critical thinking is "the art of thinking about your thinking while you are thinking in order to make your thinking better: more clear, more accurate, or more defensible." Paul, Binker, Adamson, and Martin (1989)

3."Critical thinking includes the ability to respond to material by distinguishing between facts and opinions or personal feelings, judgments and inferences, inductive and deductive arguments, and the objective and subjective. It also includes the ability to generate questions, construct, and recognize the structure of arguments, and adequately support arguments; define, analyze, and devise solutions for problems and issues; sort, organize, classify, correlate, and analyze materials and data; integrate information and see relationships; evaluate information, materials, and data by drawing inferences, arriving at reasonable and informed conclusions, applying understanding and knowledge to new and different problems, developing rational and reasonable interpretations, suspending beliefs and remaining open to new information, methods, cultural systems, values and beliefs and by assimilating information." MCC General Education Initiatives

These three quotes describe the process I have gone through so far in designing my hypertext. Initially, I had to use a great deal of judgement about the sources I was finding and whether or not they could help me. I found out there is a lot of useless information out there, and finding legitimate resources is a long process. Then, once I did find some useful information, I had to think about how I could present it in the most effective manner. The advangtage of a hypertext is that they are much more engaging than formal essays, and I needed to decide how I was going to use this advantage. Also, a lot of information I had, while on the same topic, conflicted in some manner. To get past these problems, I had to think critically about what information would benefit my site the most, and then use that source rather than cause confusion with two.
Writing this hypertext has been different from any other essay I've worked on mostly because hypertext flow is much more liberated than that of an ordinary essay. Instead of hitting point after point as I would typically writing an essay, with hypertext I found that I was all over the place working on one section followed by a totally different aspect on another section. A regular essay also doesn't have the intricate design and aesthetic work associated with it obviously.

No comments: