14 November 2007

Critical Thinking

Critical thinking is truly defined individually by the one doing the thinking, but there are a few quotes listed which capture what it means to me to think critically. To put ideas and thoughts together in the form of a hypertext provides not only the reader, but myself with a clearer and more refined idea of what it is I am discussing.

The first quote I chose is that of Kurland's, because it truly relates to the discussion I lead on my site. He speaks of avoiding close-mindedness and intellectual laziness, two vices that have plagued proper analysis of my issue. But more importantly, he makes a note to mention that one must be continually aware of one's own judgment and biases. As I play computer games myself, I must be careful not to let my own prejudices about the system affect my analysis and discussion of low-wage gold farming and the online gaming-related factors.

The second quote that connects the dots in my topic is that of Simon/Kapplan, who say that "Critical thinking is the formation of logical inferences." In my own experience having written various paragraphs on my hypertext topic, this cannot be more true. In discussing the low-wage life of gold farmers, one must make inferences in order to generate points of discussion, especially with a topic that has thus far received very little critical analysis, given it's widespread and growing influence.

The final quote I chose was that of Paul, Binker, Adamson, and Martin, in that "the art of thinking about your thinking while you are thinking in order to make your thinking better: more clear, more accurate, or more defensible." My thought process on the topic is one thing, but having been thinking critically about it, I can say with first-hand experience that I am able to better articulate the nuances of the material, putting sentences together on my pages of the hypertext that are clear, concise, and cognizant of the overall message that I wish users to receive as they surf from page to page.

Overall, critical thinking is, for me, considering the factors that have made my issue such a large one, and categorizing the factors which caused it to continually grow exponentially. By being able to articulate these ideas and cross the spectrum of catalysts, I can give the readers a clear idea of my hypertext material, so that they too can make informed decisions about what will a larger and larger issue, as more and more players enter the virtual world of gaming.

In terms of comparing my previous writing endeavors to that of this hypertext, if anything there is an aspect of unbridled freedom that I feel as I segment my discussions into different pages. To be able to assert specific topics on different pages under the umbrella of a hypertext topic gives not only my work a better sense of direction, but I would imagine gives my readers a better road-map of what it is I discuss. To the hypertext extent, I would say that the virtual medium this class has offered has served to prepare us for a lifestyle in which the written word is antiquated in the face of the digital counterpart. We attempt to express ourselves personally through a naturally impersonal medium, compensating for the lack of visual emotion with critical richness that keeps readers interested.

No comments: