14 November 2007

critical thinking

Hypertext writing is incredibly different from all other types of writing I have ever done. It has challenged me to think in new and different ways. Essentially, it has encouraged me to think more critically about all all aspects of my writing. Those aspects include but are not limited to my intended audience, the purpose of my writing, the effectiveness of my words, the most effective layout etc... The critical thinking I have engaged in to create my hypertext aligns with the definitions of Halpern, Maiorana, and Smith.

Halpern suggests that critical thinking is important when reaching a desired outcome. I find this to be very true because in all my writing I have thought of how it best encourages people to become aware and active about the garment workers in Los Angeles.

Maiorana suggests that critical thinking is effective in solving problems through understanding, evaluating and resolving them. I find this to be true because the entire goal of my site has been to solve the issue of exploited low wage laborers.

Smith suggests that it is important to judge the validity of scholars on the issue. This is important because my writing is based on the gaps in certain scholarly research. That is, I feel I am trying to expose an issue that has been somewhat disregarded by the academic sphere.

I feel that there has been one very significant difference between my hypertext writing and my previous writing. I feel that this writing has a real purpose beyond the classroom such that much of my writing has been influenced by the possibility that people other than my professors will read what I have written. This has guided me to make decisions that I would have otherwise disregarded as unimportant.

No comments: