14 November 2007

Critical Thinking

Critical thinking is the development of cohesive and logical reasoning patterns.

Stahl and Stahl, 1991.

While working on my hypertext i have made a point to use logical reasoning patterns. For instance, I try to make sure my links are clear and they follow a logic pattern. The most important thing for a website is to ensure that it is user friendly and people can use logic and simple thinking to navigate the page. that is what I've tried to create for my website.

Critical thinking is careful and deliberate determination of whether to accept, reject, or suspend judgment.
Moore and Parker, 1994.

Once again i think it is imperative to evaluate the hypertext, imagine it from all angles, and see what can be changed. Once I've challenged myself to answer these questions i can then accept, reject, or suspend my judgment. But only through my judgment can i question and change my work.



"The purpose of critical thinking is, therefore, to achieve understanding, evaluate view points, and solve problems. Since all three areas involve the asking of questions, we can say that critical thinking is the questioning or inquiry we engage in when we seek to understand, evaluate, or resolve."
Maiorana, Victor P. Critical Thinking Across the Curriculum: Building the Analytical Classroom. 1992.

This definition describes my experience of composing hypertext. I look at different view points, i try to understand others, and try to think of all possible outcomes. Therefor i think that questioning is a key part of what I've done with my hypertext. I really try to push myself to see what else can happen, what can i change, what can i edit. I revise and revise till i think I've successfully answered all those questions.



The way i write for a an academic, research paper differs hugely from a hypertext. For a hypertext i write small excerpts and link each excerpt (or paragraph) lightly. In other words there doest have to be a concrete connection- i can loosely link parts together. When writing an "traditional" paper i need to be more concrete and direct. Also on a hypertext i do a lot of my writing with pictures or design, as where a traditional paper i must use only words and follow a certain way of writing.

No comments: