06 June 2007

I'll take some Strawberries with a side of Injustice...

California is known for many things. Warm sunny beaches, the Golden Gate Bridge, surfing, and oranges to name a few. Strawberries are one other aspect of California which people don't know much about. 87% of all strawberries produced in the United States are grown in California. To the best of my knowledge, there are very few people who do not like strawberries. Their taste, texture, and image all combine for a fruit which is universally loved. This is what brought me to write on this topic. With a product so delicious, how could there be anything not heavenly about Strawberries? In doing my hypertext on the strawberry workers in California I learned that there are many hidden evils about strawberries. The workers put in long hours (over 8 a day), hunched over, straining their bodies to the limit, all for at or below minimum wage. The result is that these people work so hard for very little and though they may believe in the American Dream, they are never able to realize it. Through my research I learned many reasons of why the untold stories of the pickers of California's strawberries need to reach the consumer. Some reasons include the strenuous conditions of the labor, the unfair system of sharecropping, the housing situation, and the pay. To learn more about the injustices that continue in the fields of succulent red strawberries, you can visit my hypertext essay.

No comments: