06 June 2007

What can Brown do for you?

My project concerns the practices of UPS in its treatment of its lowest tier workforce. As an on again off again employee of UPS, I use my own experiences to communicate the unpleasant aspects of working for Brown, while simultaneously explaining the exploitive aspects of their hiring practices of students. I also discuss the changing global economy of freight forwarding and corporate partnerships, looking at how mission-critical changes in the 80s and 90s created an environment in which UPS found itself spending large amounts of money for the future survival of the company. These policies and applications, which were instrumental in the companies survival, borrowed funds and energy away from programs concerning the cheapest, largest source of labor. I also investigate the Teamster Union’s hegemonic structure that further disenfranchised the low tier workers by using the low tier workers as bargaining chips against UPS and vice versa. I take from first hand accounts of UPS workers that post their frustrations online, and infer the motivations of UPS policy through economic studies.

No comments: