06 June 2007

Serving America: The Low-Wage Life of a Restaurant Server

I chose to do my second hypertext on the low-wage life of restaurant servers. The reason I chose to do this topic is because we all come in to contact with them at least once a week and take them for granted on many of these occasions. The topic which I thought was really interesting and thus became the focus of my hypertext is the uniqueness of their low-wage. This uniqueness comes from the fact that a server’s wage is not consistent, and so they never really know exactly how much they are going to make. I thoroughly cover the factors which contribute to this inconsistency, from tips, to the distribution of these tips, to the limited hours. I also cover the effects of this inconsistent tip seen in their lifestyle outside of the work place. With the help of Barbara Ehrenreich’s “Nickel and Dimed” I was able to effectively illustrate the tough lifestyle of a restaurant server and show how they don’t even get a break away from work. Some of the other topics included in my site are the unseen work done by restaurant servers and the health hazards they are exposed to everyday on the job, further emphasizing the suffering they must endure for such low pay. I also define poverty to show how close restaurant servers actually come to the qualification of poverty. I also offer solutions and ways you the customer can help to make the life of a server a little easier and to ensure these low-wage workers have a place to sleep at night.

The following is the link to my “Living the Low-Wage Life” hypertext homepage:

http://itrs.scu.edu/faculty/mbousquet/spring07/english2/rwakabayashi_spr07/hypertext2.htm

No comments: