06 June 2007

Stripper Project Description

Ever since highschool, when I went to a party with a stripper, I have been curious to know what stripper's lives are like. My first feelings towards strippers were confusion and disgust, but as I did research I discovered that these women were exploited and abused by the rest of society in the workplace because of people's prejudgments of them.
It was extremely difficult to find books on strippers, probably because they are not considered worthy enough to write books about. Though with some work and the help of a librarian I found some books in the Stanford library.
I learned a lot about strippers situations as low wage workers. I learned about their deteriorating health because of their workplace conditions, their low self esteem, their low pay, and finally how vulnerable they are because of the nature or their work. I discovered that their is only one unionized strip club in the whole of the US in San Francisco. This illustrates that with a lot of effort strippers can improve their situations, but it is extremely difficult.
I learned a lot about strippers as low wage workers but I also was able to overcome my prejudgement of strippers and come to the conclusion that they deserve the same rights and social justice that every other worker.

No comments: