23 May 2007

Reyn's Critical Thinking Response

"Critical thinking is the use of those cognitive skills or strategies that increase the probability of a desirable outcome...Critical thinking also involves evaluating the thinking process the reasoning that went into the conclusion we've arrived at the kinds of factors considered in making a decision."
Halper, Diane F.

The strategies used in order to appeal to the modern technological audience is the writing of a traditional essay as a hypertext webpage. By using dreamweaver, we are able to stray away from the traditional printable essay and create a new, more desirable type of information.



"The purpose of critical thinking is, therefore, to achieve understanding, evaluate view points, and solve problems. Since all three areas involve the asking of questions, we can say that critical thinking is the questioning or inquiry we engage in when we seek to understand, evaluate, or resolve."
Maiorana, Victor P.

In hypertext2, we are doing exactly this. We are evaluating the view points of the people who share a problem, and use these view points to formulate a solution.



"Criticial thinking is 'the art of thinking about your thinking while you are thinking in order to make your thinking better: more clear, more accurate, or more defensible."
Paul, Binker, Adamson, and Martin

In writing the hypertexts, we create a draft of the online hypertext, then a printable version, and then a final draft of the online hypertext. This is the process of thinking about my thinking while I think in order to make my thinking better. They printable version is a way to think about and evaluate my hypertext thinking in order to better that thinking.

5 comments:

ak said...

The third quote illustrates very well the process we went through to get to our final hypertext and the second quote explains precisely what we the aim of our hypertexts is.

Betsy said...

I agree with your first quote and comment. I feel that my hypertext is much more interesting and "desirable" than my flat or printable version. People probably get more out of my website than they would out of an 8 page paper.

Caitlin Mallory said...

I agree that the third definition really applies. When we made the first hypertext, we were thinking about which issues in our topic were important and applicable to our site. When we transitioned into the printible version, we had to think about how to combine the various areas that we had talked about, especially how they link together to form a coherant essay. I also think that making the website into a paper allowed me to turn my research into a more personal statement with a stronger point of view.

Caitlin Mallory said...

I agree that the third definition really applies. When we made the first hypertext, we were thinking about which issues in our topic were important and applicable to our site. When we transitioned into the printible version, we had to think about how to combine the various areas that we had talked about, especially how they link together to form a coherant essay. I also think that making the website into a paper allowed me to turn my research into a more personal statement with a stronger point of view.

deb said...

I think your first quote and response is totally correct. I think that our hypertexts are much more engaging and may make more of a difference than a traditional paper. The use of media makes people think more about your point.